Vitamin D is sometimes called the “sunshine vitamin” because it’s produced in your skin in response to sunlight. Your body produces vitamin D naturally when it’s directly exposed to sunlight. Getting the right amount of vitamin D is important for normal growth and development of bones and teeth, as well as improved resistance against certain diseases.
Vitamin D turns on key peptides in your immune system that trigger a strong anti-microbial response, allowing you to quickly and effectively fight off invaders before they can develop into a full-blown infection.
Few foods contain vitamin D naturally. Because of this, some foods are fortified. This means that vitamin D has been added. Foods that contain vitamin D include:
Studies on Vitamin D:
- egg yolk
- milk (fortified)
- cereal (fortified)
- yogurt (fortified)
- orange juice (fortified)
Why we like Liposomal D:
- "Activated vitamin D is one of the most potent inhibitors of cancer cell growth," says Michael F. Holick, PhD, MD, who heads the Vitamin D, Skin, and Bone Research Laboratory at Boston University School of Medicine.
- In a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in December 2003, of more than 3,000 veterans (ages 50 to 75) at 13 Veterans Affairs medical centers, those who consumed more than 645 IU of vitamin D a day along with more than 4 grams per day of cereal fiber had a 40% reduction in their risk of developing precancerous colon polyps.
- A study in the Jan. 13, 2004 issue of Neurology indicated that women who get doses of vitamin D that are typically found in daily multivitamin supplements -- of at least 400 international units -- are 40% less likely to develop multiple sclerosis compared with those not taking over-the-counter supplements.
- In a report in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society in February 2004, researchers at the University of Basel in Switzerland showed that elderly women who took a vitamin D supplement plus calcium for three months reduced their risk of falling by 49% compared with consuming calcium alone. Those women who had fallen repeatedly in the past seemed to gain the most benefit from vitamin D.
Research suggests a significant portion of the North American population has suboptimal levels of vitamin D. Most holistically oriented health care practitioners regard a blood level of vitamin D between 50 - 100 ng/mL as optimal. The amount of vitamin D in this formula may correct the deficiencies of patients who do not get adequate sun exposure and/or dietary sources of these vitamins. Liposomal D Supreme provides 2500 IU of D3 in each 1-pump serving, making it an ideal choice for those who need higher dosing but prefer to swallow fewer pills.
Vitamin D is essential for healthy immune function, calcium homeostasis, and more. Owing to their complementary roles in calcium trafficking and skeletal homeostasis, it is recommended to include vitamin K when supplementing vitamin D. Increasing the amount of vitamin D in the presence of inadequate levels of vitamin K may increase the risk of calcium deposition in arteries and soft tissue and have a negative effect on arterial elasticity. Liposomal D Supreme provides vitamin K as both K1 and K2, the latter being required for activation of osteocalcin and matrix Gla protein, critical for bone health and protecting against arterial calcification.
CAUTION: Vitamin K may adversely interact with anticoagulation drugs known as blood thinners. Patients taking these medications should be medically supervised while taking Liposomal D Supreme. Benefits of Liposomal Delivery:
- Superior absorption and intracellular delivery of nutrients
- Phospholipid structure allows for effective delivery of compounds with different solubilities carried within the same particle (e.g., water- and lipid-soluble compounds)
- Penetrates the blood-brain barrier
- Survives the acidic environment of the stomach, ensuring intestinal uptake and delivery to the lymphatic system
- Convenient for those who prefer to swallow fewer pills; also allow for easy dosing
Why we like this product:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Soy Free